All those questions you wish someone would answer about your project

If you need a structural engineer for home extensions our Wakefield based team can help with all the requirements for your project.

Do I need a structural engineer?
If you are carrying out a home extension, loft conversion or are removing walls from your home, the chances are that you will require a structural engineer. Works such as these require you to notify your local building control team who may require structural calculations before works can be signed off.
Do I need a site visit?
If an architect or designer has provided clear plans, simple alterations can often be undertaken without a site visit saving you money. If plans are not provided or if the design is complex, a site visit is usually recommended although this is project dependent.
Do you draw up plans for my house?
The architect normally draws up the plans. Where an architect is unable to draw up the plans or full plans are not required, we can undertake an inspection and obtain required measurements sufficient to carry out the structural design.
How much do you charge?
Providing a set cost for a design can be difficult. Each project is different and what appears to be a simple steel beam design often involves additional checks to the masonry bearings, wall panels and foundations. Therefore, each project is priced specifically to suit project requirements.

To help give you an idea of how much the structure design for your project might cost we have developed a fee estimator tool. Once you have followed the steps in the estimator tool, you will receive an email copy of this for reference. We will then get in touch using the details that you provide to discuss further and offer a formal quotation.

What areas do you cover?
Typically speaking you will find us providing structural engineering services in areas such as Wakefield, Castleford, Pontefract, Dewsbury, Batley, Huddersfield, Leeds, Bradford and Halifax. We are based in Wakefield so ideally placed to cover all of Yorkshire and further afield having also undertaken projects in areas such as Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester and Derbyshire.
What type of clients do you work with?
We typically work with a wide range of clients from domestic home owners, builders, developers, architects and surveyors.
How long will the design/calculations/drawings take?
Following receipt of all the relevant information, we typically aim to turn around works within 1-2 weeks. However, this is very dependent on how busy we are and the size of the project. Smaller jobs such as a single beam design, even with a site visit can often be completed in a week or less.
I need a structural engineer urgently – Can you help?
Please contact us and we will see what we can do. Even whilst busy, we try to allocate time to administrative works, training, and CPD. If required, we may be able to allocate some of this time to your project.
My mortgage company need a structural engineers report before I buy my property. Can you help?
We regularly undertake structural surveys in response to a property valuation survey. Our inspections are undertaken by an experienced structural engineer and all reports are reviewed and signed off by a Chartered Structural Engineer before they are issued.
I have been told I need a structural engineer but cannot describe the issue – Can you help?
Often, a building inspector or other professional may use complicated terms to describe a structural defect or requirement meaning it is difficult to clearly relay that information over the phone or via email. In these cases, we would recommend that a site visit be undertaken for a small fee to review the defect and discuss the best way to resolve the issue.

Ask A Question

1 + 5 =